At Townville Infant and Nursery School, we aspire to offer the best possible early education for all our children in a happy, safe, inclusive environment.
Through our geography curriculum we aim to ensure our children:
- Develop a fascination of the world that will stay with them through their lives.
- Explore and learn about their local environment and community in order to develop an awareness of their position and location within the world.
- Use this awareness to challenge their thinking and to make connections between their local surroundings and that of contrasting areas to provoke and provide answers to questions about natural and human aspects of the world.
- Develop as inquisitive geographers by exploring and identifying characteristics of the United Kingdom and its countries through the use of globes, maps, aerial photographs and atlases.
- Use geographical vocabulary and skills to describe, explain, compare and evaluate human and physical geographical features.
- Take part in fieldwork to enhance their understanding of human and physical features and the impact that they have.
- Investigate maps with curiosity in order to interpret and devise their own and use locational and directional language to describe the features that they discover.
- Explore, appreciate and understand the world and how it has evolved into the world we live in today.
This builds upon the children’s prior knowledge gained through the foundation stage for Geography where children:
- Explore the natural world around them, making observations.
- Know some similarities and differences between the natural world around them and contrasting environments.
- Understand some important processes and changes in the natural world around them, including the seasons and changing states of matter.
- Describe their immediate environment using knowledge from observation, discussion, stories, non-fiction texts and maps.