At Townville Infants and Nursery School, we aspire to offer the best possible early education for all our children in a happy, safe, inclusive environment.
Throughout our science curriculum we aim to ensure our children:
- Understand that science is a part of every-day life and the study of living things.
- Are equipped with the knowledge, skills and understanding, which encourage children to be keen, inquisitive scientists now and in the future.
- Become competent scientists with “hands on” investigations and experiments: finding out from first-hand experience and testing hypotheses, in line with “working scientifically”
- Ask scientific questions and develop their curiosity of the world around them
- Develop scientific vocabulary and be able to use it to describe ideas, objects and explain concepts confidently.
- Promote opportunities for exploratory talk in order to develop ideas, arguments and deepen understanding.
- Understand that key skills they learn in science can be applied in other areas of the curriculum.
This build upon the children’s prior knowledge gained through the foundation stage for Science where children:
- Begin to ask and answer questions about the world around them
- Develop an understanding of their basic needs and the importance of healthy food choices
- Explore the natural world and make observations
- Draw upon their experiences and what has been read to them , begin to identify similarities and differences in relation to the natural world around them and contrasting habitats
- Understand some important processes and changes in the natural world around them, including the seasons and changing states of matter